Looking for a trader that has passed a Which? assessment?

Visit Which? Trusted Traders to find local traders who have been checked and assessed by our trading standards professionals.

About Gas Safe Register

What is Gas Safe Register?

Gas Safe Register is the official list of gas engineers who are registered to work safely and legally on boilers, cookers, fires and all other gas appliances.

By law, all gas engineers must be on the Gas Safe Register (previously 'CORGI'). 

What does Gas Safe Register do?

Gas Safe Register seeks to improve and maintain gas safety to the highest standards.

It makes sure all 123,000 registered gas engineers are qualified to work with gas.

Which gas jobs must be done by a registered engineer?

Checking the Gas Safe Register ID card

All gas work carried out in your home and in certain commercial premises should be done by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Gas work includes:

  • installing, repairing or servicing a gas boiler
  • installing or repairing a gas fire, gas cooker or hob.

Not all gas engineers are qualified to do all types of gas work. Check what type of work your gas engineer is qualified to do.

How to find a registered engineer

Always check the engineer's Gas Safe ID card

Before you let a gas engineer into your home, make sure you check the front and the back their Gas Safe ID card. If they don’t show this to you when they turn up at your door then don’t be afraid to ask to see it.

Visit the Gas Safe Register website for more information about checking a Gas Safe ID card

The Gas Safe Register website lists local registered businesses and traders. You can search for a registered engineer using your address or the name of the trader or business, if known.

The website shows you the names of any engineers working for registered businesses and specifically which gas appliances individuals are qualified to work on.

Alternatively, you can contact Gas Safe Register on 0800 408 5500 to check local traders and businesses.