Looking for a trader that has passed a Which? assessment?

Visit Which? Trusted Traders to find local traders who have been checked and assessed by our trading standards professionals.

MagnaClean Filter - Does it work well ?

Unsubscribe from this discussion
Profile Image
  • 5 Reviews
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Thumbs up

mostly_harmless

• Which? Member

7-Mar-15 12:58

I have recently read about the MagnaClean filter which uses a magnet to collect loose metal circulating around the central heating system. I believe there may be similar products from other manufacturers. Does anyone have any experience of these ? Roughly how much would a plumber chrage to install one of these ?

Profile Image
  • 7 Reviews
  • 873 Posts
  • 371 Thumbs up

John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance

New Malden, Surrey

8-Mar-15 06:55

Originally posted by: mostly_harmless : View

I have recently read about the MagnaClean filter which uses a magnet to collect loose metal circulating around the central heating system. I believe there may be similar products from other manufacturers. Does anyone have any experience of these ? Roughly how much would a plumber chrage to install one of these ?

Hi mh,

There are as you say, many versions of these from different suppliers, although the 'Adey' Magnaclean was the first. (Designed by Chris Adey - a heating engineer to solve a problem)

Essentially, the water in the heating system passes through the unit and around the rare earth magnet in the centre which is encased in a resin sleeve. All magnetic contaminants, get attracted to the magnet as the system water passes.

Periodically, the unit can be isolated and the contaminants flushed out or off the core by sliding the magnet out of the sleeve (removing the magnetic influence). This is done every boiler service but is very easy for the consumer to do also. It does give a very good visual proof of the sludge being removed to the client. "Better out than in" - I always say.

Cost of units are around £100, and fitting will depend on having a suitable section of pipe on which to fit it, allowing for access to clean out, and how much draining of the system is required to fit it.

They also provide an excellent point for treating and dosing the system with cleaners and corrosion inhibitors.

Hope that helps,

John

Post image Post image Post image
Profile Image
  • 1 Review
  • 537 Posts
  • 118 Thumbs up

remloc

Abingdon, Oxfordshire

26-May-15 23:30

Cost depending on size of return pipe work Yes they do work

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Thumbs up

alan teal

27-May-15 17:41

superb piece of kit, go for the one with a magnet and filter for non magnetic particles, make sure its fitted in an easy to get at position. 110% recommend to have one!

Profile Image
  • 1 Review
  • 537 Posts
  • 118 Thumbs up

remloc

Abingdon, Oxfordshire

2-Jun-15 20:14

Originally posted by: mostly_harmless : View

Magna clean have a Twintech product which, according to Adey Tech, "is the most powerful magnet in there domestic range" and it captures non magnetic particles.

Profile Image
  • 3 Reviews
  • 32 Posts
  • 15 Thumbs up

AlecMorrow

Holloway, London

7-Jun-15 16:10

i would never use a magna clean for several reasons...one the magnets loose effectiveness overt time because the sit in hot water and the plastic casing has no impermeable barrier to allow ingress of oxygen into the heating pipes. Magna clean was the first british made ones, but alternatives had been developed over 25yrs ago in other parts of europe. These are metal and work very well indeed, especially if you don't use inhibitors (which they do not in Germany)

Profile Image
  • 1 Review
  • 537 Posts
  • 118 Thumbs up

remloc

Abingdon, Oxfordshire

12-Jun-15 15:06

Originally posted by: AlecMorrow : View

i would never use a magna clean for several reasons...one the magnets loose effectiveness overt time because the sit in hot water and the plastic casing has no impermeable barrier to allow ingress of oxygen into the heating pipes. Magna clean was the first british made ones, but alternatives had been developed over 25yrs ago in other parts of europe. These are metal and work very well indeed, especially if you don't use inhibitors (which they do not in Germany)

Adey Claim that air will not ingress the plastic housing due to material being used which has a 30% glass mix...interesting point made though .we use a spirotech RV2 on the flow of our combi and system boiler installation which removes micro bubbles from the heating system as well as a magnetic filter on the return

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Thumbs up

EddiekpRS

5-Oct-16 11:37

Sorry to jump on this thread.

My heating engineer just drained our system to fit a new mid position valve. He has not put inhibitor in the system as a) our system is not gunked with black stuff but is pulling through rust coloured water he stated "if you already have rust in the system then inhibitor will not clean it as its a prevention method not a corrective method".

He has recommended instead to install a Magnaclean Micro filter. Would cost about £150 to fit plus the £100 ish for me to buy. Does this advice make sense? just double checking what i am being told is accurate before i commit to installing one.

FYI the old mid position valve did have build up around the t section valves which has caused the issue in the first place. Boiler had a service and is in perfect condition so not being effected by the rust yet...

Thanks Edd.

Profile Image
  • 7 Reviews
  • 873 Posts
  • 371 Thumbs up

John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance

New Malden, Surrey

5-Oct-16 13:07

Originally posted by: EddiekpRS : View

Sorry to jump on this thread.

My heating engineer just drained our system to fit a new mid position valve. He has not put inhibitor in the system as a) our system is not gunked with black stuff but is pulling through rust coloured water he stated "if you already have rust in the system then inhibitor will not clean it as its a prevention method not a corrective method".

He has recommended instead to install a Magnaclean Micro filter. Would cost about £150 to fit plus the £100 ish for me to buy. Does this advice make sense? just double checking what i am being told is accurate before i commit to installing one.

FYI the old mid position valve did have build up around the t section valves which has caused the issue in the first place. Boiler had a service and is in perfect condition so not being effected by the rust yet...

Thanks Edd.

Hi Edd - jump in.....that's what the forum is here for. (And welcome by the way)

As previously stated elsewhere, a magnaclean filter or similar will help to keep ferrous deposits at bay but will not solve your problem.

The cause needs to be dealt with.

Have you got old radiators? Just because this boiler had been 'serviced', doesn't mean that the internal state of the heat exchanger etc is fine. In fact, the rust suggests there are problems within the system.

Sounds like you need to get somebody to properly check the system over rather than just sticking an 'elastoplast' over a nasty cut.

Also - £150 sounds high to fit the magnaclean that you are supplying unless there is no room and much pipe-work is being changed.

Hope that helps,

John

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Thumbs up

EddiekpRS

5-Oct-16 20:39

Hi John,

House was built in 1994. Has 8mm copper pipe work for the rad's and they do look a little old style. The boiler is a Baxi Solo and was fitted by previous owner so is about 5 years old.

The thing is in 18 months we are planned to be doing a lot of renovation work on the house. Knocking through 2 walls, fitting a new kitchen. Part of that work means we will be taking down the plaster off the downstairs ceiling so have access to refit all new pipes (the plastic quick fit stuff) and potentially put new rads in as well. We may move to a combi boiler to remove the tanks in the loft and airing cupboard OR keep the current boiler and put a pressurized hot water cylinder in the loft. Lots of ??? marks over this though. We are basically weighing up our options financially etc to see what fits best.

What kind of detective work are you talking re our current boiler? How much would someone charge to fully investigate what is causing it etc??

Post a reply

Profile Image
  • ? Reviews
  • ? Forum posts
  • Add image