Looking for a trader that has passed a Which? assessment?

Visit Which? Trusted Traders to find local traders who have been checked and assessed by our trading standards professionals.

Half (50 per cent) of all UK householders think it’s cheaper to leave their home heating on all day

Unsubscribe from this discussion
Profile Image
  • 25 Reviews
  • 399 Posts
  • 66 Thumbs up

Which? David

• Which? Staff

30-Jan-14 10:54

(Changed by Which? David  why?)

... than turning the heating on or off and up or down when required. And other interesting findings from Installer mag. ...

Profile Image
  • 7 Reviews
  • 849 Posts
  • 352 Thumbs up

John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance

New Malden, Surrey

30-Jan-14 12:11

(Changed by _sarah  why?)

More consumers should read the rest of the article - the 'click' on other interesting findings bit.

Profile Image
  • 25 Reviews
  • 399 Posts
  • 66 Thumbs up

Which? David

• Which? Staff

31-Jan-14 12:40

Really is a fascinating read. Good for trader's to read and understand where we mortals are coming from too. I previously thought leaving temp on low all day through winter was a good idea!

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 15 Posts
  • 16 Thumbs up

GreenstarColchester

Wivenhoe, Colchester, Essex

8-Feb-14 22:23

only turn your heating on, when you need it ;) (uswitch.com)

Profile Image
  • 3 Reviews
  • 32 Posts
  • 14 Thumbs up

AlecMorrow

Holloway, London

11-Feb-14 07:36

it all depends on hours of usage...In a one bedroom flat with one person out to work every day, it will be less expensive than leaving the heating on, but many houses especially of older people are occupied almost 24/7.. as a rule of thumb turn it off if the house is empty for more than 6 hours...other wise turn it down....

Profile Image
  • 25 Reviews
  • 399 Posts
  • 66 Thumbs up

Which? David

• Which? Staff

12-Feb-14 10:12

Sound advice. Will follow the six hour rule of thumb!

Profile Image
  • 2 Reviews
  • 5 Posts
  • 3 Thumbs up

MsSupertech

• Which? Member

16-Feb-14 23:43

Unfortunately the link won't open for me.... Surely the level of insulation must be taken into account? My solid walled end-of-terrace loses heat quite quickly whereas my previous flat, insulated to modern standards, obviously lost heat far more slowly. In the flat there wasn't much to be saved by turning the heat off. Leaving the heat on in this house if it's unoccupied for any length of time is akin to throwing fivers out of the windows. During the day we don't heat the house even when we're at home unless it's VERY cold outside. we just wear a fleece. It goes off overnight too - an extra lightweight duvet does the trick when it's freezing outside.

Profile Image
  • 25 Reviews
  • 399 Posts
  • 66 Thumbs up

Which? David

• Which? Staff

17-Feb-14 10:02

Morning MsSupertech. Here's the url of the original link http://www.installeronline.co.uk/householders-think-its-cheaper-to-leave-heating-on-all-day-at-low-temperature/

My flat also loses heat as it's the last on the entire road. The wind shoots up the hill from the Thames and hits our bedroom/bathroom wall. Fleece and extra lightweight duvet also what we do at ours!

Post a reply

Profile Image
  • ? Reviews
  • ? Forum posts
  • Add image