Looking for a trader that has passed a Which? assessment?

Visit Which? Trusted Traders to find local traders who have been checked and assessed by our trading standards professionals.

Combi boiler shuts down when running hot water

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Thumbs up

Threegreens

27-Jan-14 16:59

I have a Potterton Puma 80 combi boiler which shuts down when I run any hot water tap or shower for more than a few minutes (short time no issue). Bath typically shuts boiler down 3 times to fill with a relight of pilot required each time. Each shut down seems to affect heating which I then have to turn off radiators in turn to get circulation going before opening them up again to restore until the next shutdown incident. Heating engineer thinks I should replace the pump but all blogs I have read do not mention this at all as a proposal. Any ideas of what the fault might be would be appreciated.

Profile Image
  • 3 Reviews
  • 286 Posts
  • 106 Thumbs up

Real boiler servicing & maintenance

Enfield, Middlesex

27-Jan-14 18:16

Hi Threegreens,

Sounds like a circulation issue, the heat exchanger may be blocked, it could be a weak/faulty pump, incorrect gas pressures, or even be a simple thing like trapped air, the list goes on......

I don't see an issue with letting the engineer replace the pump if they feel that's the issue. I would recommend you make it clear that your looking for a complete solution rather than a replacement pump, and that you will not be happy to pay unless your issue is resolved, that way your not just throwing parts at it over and over again, which often ends up as an expensive experiment.

If I am not wrong this is an older model combi, maybe 15 years I might also suggest looking into an upgrade which might be cheaper in the long run.

all the best hope that helps.

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Thumbs up

Threegreens

27-Jan-14 20:32

Originally posted by: Real boiler servicing & maintenance : View

Hi Threegreens,

Sounds like a circulation issue, the heat exchanger may be blocked, it could be a weak/faulty pump, incorrect gas pressures, or even be a simple thing like trapped air, the list goes on......

I don't see an issue with letting the engineer replace the pump if they feel that's the issue. I would recommend you make it clear that your looking for a complete solution rather than a replacement pump, and that you will not be happy to pay unless your issue is resolved, that way your not just throwing parts at it over and over again, which often ends up as an expensive experiment.

If I am not wrong this is an older model combi, maybe 15 years I might also suggest looking into an upgrade which might be cheaper in the long run.

all the best hope that helps.

Thanks for the quick response. As I thought, it is a difficult one to pin down so before I start throwing pound notes at it I might just think about an upgrade. Your opinion is valued.

Profile Image
  • 7 Reviews
  • 873 Posts
  • 371 Thumbs up

John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance

New Malden, Surrey

28-Jan-14 07:21

Hi - the puma is indeed an older model now (put many in some years ago and have now I think upgraded them all)

Do not throw money at this, the pump change will not solve this - there is far more going on.

Upgrade to something decent with a good manufacturer's warranty.

This boiler has done its job - time to move on.

Good Luck

John

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Thumbs up

Threegreens

28-Jan-14 11:35

Originally posted by: John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance : View

Hi - the puma is indeed an older model now (put many in some years ago and have now I think upgraded them all)

Do not throw money at this, the pump change will not solve this - there is far more going on.

Upgrade to something decent with a good manufacturer's warranty.

This boiler has done its job - time to move on.

Good Luck

John

Thanks, decision made and moving on to a new boiler in progress. Input much appreciated.

Profile Image
  • 7 Reviews
  • 873 Posts
  • 371 Thumbs up

John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance

New Malden, Surrey

28-Jan-14 12:14

Good move and glad you didn't throw money at the pump.

Good Luck

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 15 Posts
  • 16 Thumbs up

GreenstarColchester

Wivenhoe, Colchester, Essex

8-Feb-14 22:35

I sometimes advise an upgrade, yet sometimes this falls on deaf ears, and the customers' do wish they had listened in the end...

Post a reply

Profile Image
  • ? Reviews
  • ? Forum posts
  • Add image