Looking for a trader that has passed a Which? assessment?

Visit Which? Trusted Traders to find local traders who have been checked and assessed by our trading standards professionals.

Check those 'wireless' room thermostats

Profile Image
  • 7 Reviews
  • 849 Posts
  • 352 Thumbs up

John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance

New Malden, Surrey

7-Dec-13 08:26

May seem obvious I know, but with with the dramatic increase over the last few years in the installation and use of 'wire-less' room thermostats, don't forget to check the batteries in the wall unit if the heating seems erratic or fails.

You would be amazed how often this ends up being the reason the heating doesn't work when we get calls about heating breakdowns.

Often the digital display will show a flashing symbol of a battery to warn you.

Normally they are AA batteries, so keep some spare - either that or run the gauntlet of nicking them from the kids toys at Christmas…..

Keep warm

John

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Thumbs up

pickled

8-Dec-13 08:41

Hello I need help! My aging uncle is tampering with the heating controls for the boiler!!! Is there any way that I can lock them so that he can't change them? The house is like the tropics!

Profile Image
  • 7 Reviews
  • 849 Posts
  • 352 Thumbs up

New Malden, Surrey

8-Dec-13 08:49

Maybe your Uncle feels the cold far more than you. Very common that we go to elderly clients and find that although the house is boiling, they still don't feel too hot.

Not the answer you want, but our ageing population do feel it.

John

Profile Image
  • 2 Reviews
  • 1 Forum post
  • 1 Thumbs up

18coombe

• Which? Member

8-Dec-13 18:39

Originally posted by: John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance : View

May seem obvious I know, but with with the dramatic increase over the last few years in the installation and use of 'wire-less' room thermostats, don't forget to check the batteries in the wall unit if the heating seems erratic or fails.

You would be amazed how often this ends up being the reason the heating doesn't work when we get calls about heating breakdowns.

Often the digital display will show a flashing symbol of a battery to warn you.

Normally they are AA batteries, so keep some spare - either that or run the gauntlet of nicking them from the kids toys at Christmas…..

Keep warm

John

Some wired 'stats also need batteries. Don't forget to clean battery contacts. My 'stat was playing up even with new batteries. Found grime had accumulated on contacts over the years. Used methylated spirits and cotton bud.

Profile Image
  • 7 Reviews
  • 849 Posts
  • 352 Thumbs up

New Malden, Surrey

8-Dec-13 21:25

Originally posted by: John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance : View

May seem obvious I know, but with with the dramatic increase over the last few years in the installation and use of 'wire-less' room... Read more »

Originally posted by: 18coombe : View

Some wired 'stats also need batteries. Don't forget to clean battery contacts. My 'stat was playing up even with new batteries. Found grime had accumulated on contacts over the years. Used methylated spirits and cotton bud.

Well spotted 18Coombe :-)

Post a reply

Profile Image
  • ? Reviews
  • ? Forum posts
  • Add image