Looking for a trader that has passed a Which? assessment?

Visit Which? Trusted Traders to find local traders who have been checked and assessed by our trading standards professionals.

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 3 Posts
  • 3 Thumbs up

su.gardens

16-Nov-13 09:19

Our Vaillant ecotec boiler (approx 8 years old) has been seen by gas engineer who's flushed the system (including power flush), replaced the diverter valve, the pump and the feeds in and out of the heat exchanger but it still doesn't want to work like it should. For some reason the pump isn't able to get heat out of boiler. Can't keep throwing money at this. Any recommendations please.

Profile Image
  • 7 Reviews
  • 849 Posts
  • 352 Thumbs up

John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance

New Malden, Surrey

16-Nov-13 12:21

Did he flush the heat exchanger in the boiler or just the rest of the system - how thorough/what method/how long to do was the power flush.

Have you very old rads that could have cacked up the heat exchanger with historical crud. i.e. - was the system prepared properly for the new boiler?

J

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 3 Posts
  • 3 Thumbs up

su.gardens

16-Nov-13 12:31

Originally posted by: John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance : View

Did he flush the heat exchanger in the boiler or just the rest of the system - how thorough/what method/how long to do was the power flush.

Have you very old rads that could have cacked up the heat exchanger with historical crud. i.e. - was the system prepared properly for the new boiler?

J

He's flushed everything - twice- including the heat exchanger. Power flushed twice. Rads not very old. Our guy suspects system not flushed out before new boiler and that could be the problem. What do you think?

Profile Image
  • 3 Reviews
  • 281 Posts
  • 105 Thumbs up

Real boiler servicing & maintenance

Enfield, Middlesex

16-Nov-13 20:01

hi su.gardens,

Valliant boilers are probably the easiest to fault find, they have everything you need at your finger tips, they incorporate:

S-codes

D-codes

F-codes

find an engineer who knows how to access and interrupt these.

No point guessing at the power flushing either, ask for the following tests and readings:

Turbidity

TDS

PH

These test will high light the system water quality and confirm if a flush is required or not. (in some extreme cases you may need to send a sample off for more detailed info).

here is a sta.b in the dark hope it helps you out:

Their should be what we call a boat filter located at the base of the flow pipe on the left hand side of the boiler, located inside a brass housing, it can be a pain to remove but I am guessing (considering we have no data to go on) its full of muck, specially if a power flush has been carried out.

I hope that was of some help, all the best.

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 3 Posts
  • 3 Thumbs up

su.gardens

16-Nov-13 20:04

Thanks for this. Will share with our chap and let you know how we get on!

Profile Image
  • 7 Reviews
  • 849 Posts
  • 352 Thumbs up

New Malden, Surrey

16-Nov-13 22:50

Hi su -

Quote" He's flushed everything - twice- including the heat exchanger. Power flushed twice. Rads not very old. Our guy suspects system not flushed out before new boiler and that could be the problem. What do you think?"

You are pretty much there with that - which was really what I was asking about - sounds like your chap has his finger on the problem.

Oh and don't worry about 'sending samples….data….etc' - we are all fairly used to that on here now and it tends to confuse the issue somewhat and is (in several eyes) less than helpful.

As I was saying pre - interruption, really suspect cack in the boiler still present and very possibly in the 'very easy to remove' boat filter (but suspect your guy will have checked it)

We aim to help, and not confuse - all the best

J

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 8 Posts
  • 4 Thumbs up

lespaul

• Which? Member

16-Nov-13 22:55

Hi

Muttley has covered it but get your engineer to take the boiler to bits ,this really won't take that long but is necessary then all parts need flushed through until the debris are removed.

I unfortunately am a heating engineer that 8 years ago fitted Eco tecs all the time but the failure rate was so high that I will now not fit them.

My most recent Eco tec break down was at my parents property where we removed an old oil boiler and heating system and installed a new a complete system 7 years ago this was flushed with sentinel x300 as it was a complete new system rads pipe etc .on completion of commissioning x100 was added.

The boiler has broken down once a year every year but on this last occasion we have had the same issue that you describe and we have found the heat exchanger blocked with debris from the previously removed rubber flow and return pipes that you say you have had replaced.

You will probably find rubber deposits in the main heat exchanger or in or around pump manifold !!

New Worcester and you won't have any issues some models have 8 years parts and labour no nonsense warranty

Les Paul

Profile Image
  • 7 Reviews
  • 849 Posts
  • 352 Thumbs up

New Malden, Surrey

17-Nov-13 09:32

Thanks for bringing the thread back to normal Les paul (whew)

Su - agree with most of lespaul except that I do like the eco tecs. Intesting comment from you that the feed pipes to the heat echanger were changed/cleaned, basically, if these wer bad, the heat exchanger will be worse.

Really does look like system was not properly 'prepared' and cleaned when boiler originally installed.

Also - I assume that your installer has done all the burner checks etc (new burner casing seal required at 5 years and when removed)

Hope you are getting some sense out of us and thanks agin lespaul

John

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 1 Forum post
  • 0 Thumbs up

LAPIS

• Which? Member

17-Nov-13 17:06

Does the system have a magnetic or better filter?

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 8 Posts
  • 4 Thumbs up

lespaul

• Which? Member

19-Nov-13 21:36

Muttley much respect to you you've some great reviews fair play !!!

Post a reply

Profile Image
  • ? Reviews
  • ? Forum posts
  • Add image