Looking for a trader that has passed a Which? assessment?

Visit Which? Trusted Traders to find local traders who have been checked and assessed by our trading standards professionals.

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Thumbs up

dave 68

2-Nov-13 15:18

My downstairs radiators are cold, but the upstairs ones are hot. The flow pipe is hot on all radiators but the downstairs ones dont heat up. What could the problem be??

Profile Image
  • 7 Reviews
  • 849 Posts
  • 352 Thumbs up

John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance

New Malden, Surrey

2-Nov-13 19:06

Hi Dave - almost certainly pump starting to fail. May be combined with sludge in old radiators which will find its way and stay in the lowest areas, especially if the pump is poor. Try turning speed up on pump (normally red Grundfos) - turn dial clockwise. Also try turning off radiators upstairs and see if things push through downstairs.

Very common this time of year when heating starts getting a bit of 'Welly' - pump only had to do hot water before and then is asked to do whole house when showing wear.

Any help?

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Thumbs up

dave 68

4-Nov-13 17:38

Thanks John

I have already taken off 2 radiators, flushed both with hose also opened flow and return valves to flush pipes. The pump is running but was always worried that it might be struggling when under pressure, so checked the impeller and it's ok(not sheared off+holding on motor shaft). Will try the things you said and will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Profile Image
  • 7 Reviews
  • 849 Posts
  • 352 Thumbs up

John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance

New Malden, Surrey

4-Nov-13 18:21

Originally posted by: dave 68 : View

Thanks John

I have already taken off 2 radiators, flushed both with hose also opened flow and return valves to flush pipes. The pump is running but was always worried that it might be struggling when under pressure, so checked the impeller and it's ok(not sheared off+holding on motor shaft). Will try the things you said and will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

Hi Dave - still bet on the pump. Exactly what you are describing would point to pump even though impeller is still turning.

As it gets weaker, it only manages to struggle around the upstairs circuit.

Go for new pump (decent HE version now) and pretty sure you will be sorted (and warm :)

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 15 Posts
  • 14 Thumbs up

RussthePlumber

Chellaston, Derby, Derbyshire

9-Nov-13 20:36

Hi Dave

Might be stating the obvious, but have you checked that the thermostat on the wall is turned up to bring the pump on?

Oh and is the system a combi boiler or a boiler that is heating up a hot water cylinder with either a single three port, or two, two port valves?

Russ

www.iiplumbing-services-derby.co.uk

Profile Image
  • 7 Reviews
  • 849 Posts
  • 352 Thumbs up

John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance

New Malden, Surrey

9-Nov-13 21:27

Originally posted by: RussthePlumber : View

Hi Dave

Might be stating the obvious, but have you checked that the thermostat on the wall is turned up to bring the pump on?

Oh and is the system a combi boiler or a boiler that is heating up a hot water cylinder with either a single three port, or two, two port valves?

Russ

www.iiplumbing-services-derby.co.uk

Hi Russ - you are of course absolutely correct in your suggestion. Dave does seem to be getting hot rads upstairs though so hopefully pump will sort.

System may of course have two heating zones (larger property Dave ?)

Cheers

John

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 15 Posts
  • 14 Thumbs up

RussthePlumber

Chellaston, Derby, Derbyshire

10-Nov-13 11:05

Hi John

Of course, I have recently been to a house that the owner had specified three, yes three, wireless two port zone control valves, (one for each floor), so we cant assume that any system will be conventional!

Also, does the OP realise that in some systems there can still be gravity circulation to the upstairs rads without the pump being on?

Russ

www.iiplumbing-services-derby.co.uk

Profile Image
  • 3 Reviews
  • 281 Posts
  • 105 Thumbs up

Real boiler servicing & maintenance

Enfield, Middlesex

13-Nov-13 23:07

hi Dave,

the pump can be tested and confirmed before changing but you would need an engineer to collect data which can be analysed to calculate flow rate and capacity, this can also point out restriction caused by sludge across different circuits if their are any.

It may also be worth checking radiator valves specially if they are thermostatic, they do have a tendency to get stuck specially were they been off all summer long.

I would suggest having the boiler and system checked to out line the root cause of the problem, if the pump has failed we need to understand why other wise what ever caused this pump to fail will also cause the new one to fail just the same, unless its just age.

I hope that was of some help, all the best.

Profile Image
  • 7 Reviews
  • 849 Posts
  • 352 Thumbs up

John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance

New Malden, Surrey

14-Nov-13 19:25

Quote………."the pump can be tested and confirmed before changing but you would need an engineer to collect data which can be analysed to calculate flow rate and capacity"…………...

Clearly I have been doing things wrong all these years, and am grateful as ever for your helpful input and putting me right once again, I and surely others on here, all understand better now :-)

Russ - we are most definitely on the same wavelength. Good Luck fella.

J

Profile Image
  • 3 Reviews
  • 281 Posts
  • 105 Thumbs up

Real boiler servicing & maintenance

Enfield, Middlesex

14-Nov-13 22:31

Originally posted by: John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance : View

Quote………."the pump can be tested and confirmed before changing but you would need an engineer to collect data which can be analysed to calculate flow rate and capacity"…………...

Clearly I have been doing things wrong all these years, and am grateful as ever for your helpful input and putting me right once again, I and surely others on here, all understand better now :-)

Russ - we are most definitely on the same wavelength. Good Luck fella.

J

I welcome your comment J, but please don't be upset with me for having an opinion, which clearly differs from yours. I do think however you seem to be missing the beauty in that.

Its not not my intention to undermine you but rather to offer a different perspective which is neither right or wrong.

all the best.

Post a reply

Profile Image
  • ? Reviews
  • ? Forum posts
  • Add image