Looking for a trader that has passed a Which? assessment?

Visit Which? Trusted Traders to find local traders who have been checked and assessed by our trading standards professionals.

Changing fuel for heating

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 1 Forum post
  • 0 Thumbs up

angelien

• Which? Member

6-Nov-12 00:43

Our oil fired central heating boiler is 30 years old.I think we might need a new one. Can anyone help to solve this problem please? Do we stick with oil or do we change to gas? We have gas pipes laid to garage door. It would only be used for heating. It is difficult to predict future prices. I know I want a condensing boiler but not a combi. I would love some advice.

Profile Image
  • 4 Reviews
  • 91 Posts
  • 18 Thumbs up

DAVE,Newcastle-upon-Tyne

• Which? Member

22-Nov-12 16:42

My understanding is that mains gas is much cheaper than oil so switch to gas using a Which? Local to locate a recommended installer. NB obtain at least 3 written quotations. This will consume time but will be worth the effort.

Profile Image
  • 4 Reviews
  • 91 Posts
  • 18 Thumbs up

DAVE,Newcastle-upon-Tyne

• Which? Member

22-Nov-12 16:48

PS If oil was cheaper than gas, folk in towns and cities would be switching to it. To the best of my knowledge this is not happening.

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Thumbs up

Davealmond90

23-Nov-12 15:44

Have you considered renewable energy? You may want to consider a heat pump, either ground source or air source, depending on your circumstances. The government is set to launch a scheme to reward those who have installed renewable heat measures, it's timetabled for next June, but any systems installed in advance would be eligible.

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 1 Forum post
  • 1 Thumbs up

shirleycourse

• Which? Member

23-Nov-12 18:05

Gas is cheaper to install and will probably integrate more easily with your existing system (depending on how recent it is). Running costs are also lower than heat pumps or electricity.

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Thumbs up

Davealmond90

23-Nov-12 19:57

Originally posted by: shirleycourse : View

Gas is cheaper to install and will probably integrate more easily with your existing system (depending on how recent it is). Running costs are also lower than heat pumps or electricity.

Are you aware of how much is likely to be paid to owners of systems under the Renewable Heat Incentive? Difficult to compare with an alternative if you don't know this key fact. Also, you would need to factor in the likely rises in gas prices that nearly everybody in the energy industry is expecting. Further consider the value this could add to your property valuation, and the fact that you can rest assured that your contribution to co2 emissions has been reduced. All of a sudden, it's not as easy to write off renewables.

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Thumbs up

Davealmond90

23-Nov-12 20:00

Originally posted by: shirleycourse : View

Gas is cheaper to install and will probably integrate more easily with your existing system (depending on how recent it is). Running... Read more »

Originally posted by: Davealmond90 : View

Are you aware of how much is likely to be paid to owners of systems under the Renewable Heat Incentive? Difficult to compare with an alternative if you don't know this key fact. Also, you would need to factor in the likely rises in gas prices that nearly everybody in the energy industry is expecting. Further consider the value this could add to your property valuation, and the fact that you can rest assured that your contribution to co2 emissions has been reduced. All of a sudden, it's not as easy to write off renewables.

I should further add that financing may be available for renewable heating under the green deal, if you can wait until February for that scheme to get underway.

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 1 Forum post
  • 0 Thumbs up

angela25

25-Nov-12 10:15

Originally posted by: Davealmond90 : View

Have you considered renewable energy? You may want to consider a heat pump, either ground source or air source, depending on your circumstances. The government is set to launch a scheme to reward those who have installed renewable heat measures, it's timetabled for next June, but any systems installed in advance would be eligible.

re this gov. incentive, it sounds promising but does it include Northern Ireland?

Profile Image
  • 4 Reviews
  • 91 Posts
  • 18 Thumbs up

DAVE,Newcastle-upon-Tyne

• Which? Member

25-Nov-12 15:07

With regard to air source heat pumps I have recently learned from another post that their efficiency falls off with decreasing temperature and becomes a real problem with temperatures approaching freezing point. This would appear to limit their use to early Autumn and late Spring! Another post raised a problem in locating appropriately qualified folk to service them. I think it is too early to risk the investment.

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 1 Forum post
  • 0 Thumbs up

fred28C

• Which? Member

27-Nov-12 13:47

thinking of installing a multi fuel burner and running central heating off it is this recommended by anyone is it cheap to run ??

Post a reply

Profile Image
  • ? Reviews
  • ? Forum posts
  • Add image