Looking for a trader that has passed a Which? assessment?

Visit Which? Trusted Traders to find local traders who have been checked and assessed by our trading standards professionals.

Weather compensation control – does anyone have this?

Profile Image
  • 75 Reviews
  • 211 Posts
  • 60 Thumbs up

_sarah

  • Which? Staff

12-Sep-12 16:23

I wondered whether any Which? Localers have experience of a central heating system with weather compensation controls?

These gadgets measure the temperature outside of a home, and vary the temperature of the water pumped into the heating system accordingly. The result, apparently, is that your house maintains the desired temperature and uses the minimum amount of energy necessary, cutting the cost of fuel bills.

Some say that weather compensation gives a better overall experience in the home. The boiler fires less frequently than it might otherwise (so it’s quieter) and radiators don’t get super hot.

I’d be interested to hear the opinions of anyone who has had weather compensation controls installed. How much are you saving? Does the system always get it right? Would you recommend it?

Profile Image
  • 7 Reviews
  • 91 Posts
  • 23 Thumbs up

kingscurate

12-Sep-12 16:43

I do not use this system, we use the room thermostat method. Last october our ideal condensor boiler gave up, we had been told that they were getting unreliable. It was 7 years old and for 4 years brill, 3 years ok, last 6 mths it was a nightmare. Anyway replaced with a Vaillant 30KW(same as ideal), and installed a room thermostat, and our consumption for that winter went up, but it was milder thsn the year before. So im sceptical on these things. If i had total control id be able to monitor better. When im work though, who knows what happens with the control.

Profile Image
  • 6 Reviews
  • 12 Posts
  • 11 Thumbs up

Alan's Gas Services

15-Sep-12 20:54

Save you money these devices; cos you'll always be cold !!!

Profile Image
  • 1 Review
  • 3 Posts
  • 6 Thumbs up

tjmy

16-Sep-12 15:15

Hi Sarah, I would certainly consider this, I am an installer and have installed it for a number of my clients who have always responded favourably. Most find that once properly set up (and this might take more than one visit) then you will rarely need to make adjustments (perhaps in very cold weather) and you will enjoy a more comfortable heat. I service almost all the boilers where I have installed it and have never once been asked to remove it or told people are spending more but UK homes (given poor insulation etc) will not get the 15-20% savings some companies suggest. In my view the comfort factor is the big plus because the outside sensor is ahead of the game telling the boiler to work harder as the temperature drops outside so you don't notice the drop on the inside. Viessmann have an excellent brochure on this which you can download from their website. My experience of outside weather compensation has been on Viessmann, Vaillant, Intergas and Remeha boilers only (some systems are more complex than others). Finally, you do need a north(ish) facing wall to mount the sensor otherwise it will be inaccurate. I would fit it in my own home if I ever had the time to update my own system! I hope this helps.

Profile Image
  • 75 Reviews
  • 211 Posts
  • 60 Thumbs up

_sarah

  • Which? Staff

17-Sep-12 14:25

Originally posted by: kingscurate : View

I do not use this system, we use the room thermostat method. Last october our ideal condensor boiler gave up, we had been told that they were getting unreliable. It was 7 years old and for 4 years brill, 3 years ok, last 6 mths it was a nightmare. Anyway replaced with a Vaillant 30KW(same as ideal), and installed a room thermostat, and our consumption for that winter went up, but it was milder thsn the year before. So im sceptical on these things. If i had total control id be able to monitor better. When im work though, who knows what happens with the control.

Hi kingscurate,

That's interesting - was it a single room thermostat or a zoned living/sleeping type arrangement?

Profile Image
  • 75 Reviews
  • 211 Posts
  • 60 Thumbs up

_sarah

  • Which? Staff

17-Sep-12 14:31

 (Changed by _sarah  why?)

Originally posted by: Alan's Gas Services : View

Save you money these devices; cos you'll always be cold !!!

Thanks pikeral and tjmy - sounds like it's very much a case of getting used to a new way of heating a home.

I think I err toward being too cold rather than too hot (Nordic heritage, perhaps!) so it might suit my throw-on-a-jumper mentality if it did feel a little on the cool side.

I'd love to hear from members about how much of a saving they've achieved, if anyone has weather compensation controlled heating?

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 1 Forum post
  • 2 Thumbs up

BrianW

  • Which? Member

29-Oct-12 11:50

I've had this for years, currently using a Honeywell Aquatrol 2000. I can make no comment about how much it saves because too many things changed at once but in my opinion it improves the comfort level no end. The heating seems to be doing what's needed more of the time - during the day the flow temperature is regulated rather than it being all or nothing.

It doesn't always get it right - the boost phase first thing in the morning seems to be a bit overdone sometimes. Once it's got the house heated it's fine.

I'm not sure where the comment above (Save you money these devices; cos you'll always be cold !!!) came from but it cannot be based on experience of a working system.

Profile Image
  • 75 Reviews
  • 211 Posts
  • 60 Thumbs up

_sarah

  • Which? Staff

29-Oct-12 11:58

Originally posted by: BrianW : View

I've had this for years, currently using a Honeywell Aquatrol 2000. I can make no comment about how much it saves because too many things changed at once but in my opinion it improves the comfort level no end. The heating seems to be doing what's needed more of the time - during the day the flow temperature is regulated rather than it being all or nothing.

It doesn't always get it right - the boost phase first thing in the morning seems to be a bit overdone sometimes. Once it's got the house heated it's fine.

I'm not sure where the comment above (Save you money these devices; cos you'll always be cold !!!) came from but it cannot be based on experience of a working system.

Hi BrianW,

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a 'glowing' endorsement for weather compensation.

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 1 Forum post
  • 5 Thumbs up

green_star

  • Which? Member

7-Dec-12 16:20

I have only just seen this so it might be a bit late to be helpful. After 35 years of putting up with an electric warm air system I took the plunge of installing a gas-fired wet system last year. I got quotes from three installers from those on Which? Local in April last year and went ahead with one of these in October. In the meantime I had spent a considerable amount of time (much too much time)researching alternative systems. In the end, and with several misgivings, I chose a Viessmann 200-W boiler with a Vitotronic 200-HO1B weather compensated controller. This was the first such system that the installer had dealt with (one of my misgivings) but he found it straightforward. He was particularly impressed by the performance in terms of the (relatively) low water temperature from the boiler (i.e. not very hot radiators) to achieve the desired temperature in the rooms. This has been my experience over the 13 months or so since the system was commissioned. As I write, the outside temperature is 6 degrees with a cold wind and the boiler is running in the low 40's. I turned the heating on about two hours ago when the thermometer in my room showed about 16.5 degrees; it now shows 20.7 degrees and with the current settings this will stabilise at about 21.3 with the rest of the house (a 4 bedroom, 3 storey terrace) being suitably warm.

At first I couldn't really believe that satisfactory performance could be achieved without the assistance of an internal temperature sensor as a supplement to the external temperature sensor. Although Viessmann had a suitable device available this would need to have been wired in and they assured me that this would be an unnecessary expense. I'm glad to say that they were correct and that the Vitotronic controller has been very easy to use.

As regards costs it is difficult for me to comment. However my combined gas and electricity usage over the past year was about 18000 Kwh (3500 electricity, 14500 gas) which I realise is about the same as my electricity usage with the old system. However, the house is very much more comfortable in terms of the availability and distribution of heat. One last, and more relevant, comment: when my neighbours' flues are billowing clouds of steam mine rarely is, thus substantiating the claims of enhanced condensing performance.

I should note that I have no connection with Viessmann. In fact one of the reasons for my delay of 6 months was the volume of adverse comment about Viessmann boilers on various web forums and Which? itself 'advocating' Vaillant and Worcester-Bosch.

Profile Image
  • 75 Reviews
  • 211 Posts
  • 60 Thumbs up

_sarah

  • Which? Staff

10-Dec-12 10:29

 (Changed by _sarah  why?)

Originally posted by: green_star : View

I have only just seen this so it might be a bit late to be helpful. After 35 years of putting up with an electric warm air system I took the plunge of installing a gas-fired wet system last year. I got quotes from three installers from those on Which? Local in April last year and went ahead with one of these in October. In the meantime I had spent a considerable amount of time (much too much time)researching alternative systems. In the end, and with several misgivings, I chose a Viessmann 200-W boiler with a Vitotronic 200-HO1B weather compensated controller. This was the first such system that the installer had dealt with (one of my misgivings) but he found it straightforward. He was particularly impressed by the performance in terms of the (relatively) low water temperature from the boiler (i.e. not very hot radiators) to achieve the desired temperature in the rooms. This has been my experience over the 13 months or so since the system was commissioned. As I write, the outside temperature is 6 degrees with a cold wind and the boiler is running in the low 40's. I turned the heating on about two hours ago when the thermometer in my room showed about 16.5 degrees; it now shows 20.7 degrees and with the current settings this will stabilise at about 21.3 with the rest of the house (a 4 bedroom, 3 storey terrace) being suitably warm.

At first I couldn't really believe that satisfactory performance could be achieved without the assistance of an internal temperature sensor as a supplement to the external temperature sensor. Although Viessmann had a suitable device available this would need to have been wired in and they assured me that this would be an unnecessary expense. I'm glad to say that they were correct and that the Vitotronic controller has been very easy to use.

As regards costs it is difficult for me to comment. However my combined gas and electricity usage over the past year was about 18000 Kwh (3500 electricity, 14500 gas) which I realise is about the same as my electricity usage with the old system. However, the house is very much more comfortable in terms of the availability and distribution of heat. One last, and more relevant, comment: when my neighbours' flues are billowing clouds of steam mine rarely is, thus substantiating the claims of enhanced condensing performance.

I should note that I have no connection with Viessmann. In fact one of the reasons for my delay of 6 months was the volume of adverse comment about Viessmann boilers on various web forums and Which? itself 'advocating' Vaillant and Worcester-Bosch.

Hi green star,

Thanks indeed for sharing your experience – sounds like another endorsement for weather compensation.

Sarah

Post a reply

Profile Image
  • ? Reviews
  • ? Forum posts
  • Add image