Looking for a trader that has passed a Which? assessment?

Visit Which? Trusted Traders to find local traders who have been checked and assessed by our trading standards professionals.

Central heating power flush – worth it?

Unsubscribe from this discussion
Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 1 Forum post
  • 0 Thumbs up

Bayliss D. G.

• Which? Member

4-Mar-15 06:43

I have a 38 year old boiler which I am about to retire. I am on a water meter and I don't trust having a power flush. My solution is to remove a lower radiator and back flush with a high pressure hose using an endoscope to inspect the inside of the rad. This way I can se if the rad has any problems such as sludge or rusting. An endoscope is £12 0n Ebay or Amazon.

Thanks for all the sound advice chaps and ladies.

Profile Image
  • 3 Reviews
  • 288 Posts
  • 106 Thumbs up

Real Boiler Servicing & Maintenance Ltd

Enfield, Middlesex

4-Mar-15 11:51

Hi Bayliss D. G.

You will find that in order to comply with the manufacture requirements a flush is required and should be logged in the benchmark section of the installation manual during commissioning, detailing what cleaning agent and protector have been used and in what doses.

If you don't want to power flush and I can understand why, consider using a magnetic filter and cleaning agent to clean the system with your current boiler in place initially, to get rid of most of the contamination. You will need to do another hot and cold flush after the installation of the boiler too, this is to get rid of installation deposits such as flux.

Using this method significantly reduces the stresses applied to the system and is a extremely effective alternative to power flushing. I would suggest checking with the manufacture of the appliance as to their requirements to insure your warranty is not effected.

all the best

Ibrahim

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 1 Forum post
  • 0 Thumbs up

kieronbrophy

• Which? Member

22-Jul-15 16:52

Originally posted by: haslemere1 : View

My central heating radiators work upstairs and hot water is fine however the system only just heats some of the radiators downstairs ,... Read more »

Originally posted by: John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance : View

Does it heat some of the radiators - or 'some' of each radiator? i.e.: are there cold spots on the rads. Sludge will tend to hit downstairs more due to its weight vs water.

Depends on condition of rads but probably would make more sense to update them to better efficiency ones.

Somebody decent local should be able to recommend best option after assessing system.

John

Hi, I have much the same problem. I have a Gloworm 24hxi with expansion tank in loft serving a cylinder in in small bedroom (for power shower) running 7 no rads( 1-4 years old) and an underfloor heating system, with its own pump connected, in the extension (15M2) I have had 3 power flushes in the last 18 months (ouch). Problem is, 2 no rads downstairs(returning to boiler??) get warm to quite warm at the top only, until you turn off all the other rads in the the house and these 2 rads are hot top and bottom!!. Logic to me says that central heating pump for rads is not powerful enough. Any feedback is much appreciated thanks regards Kieron

Profile Image
  • 1 Review
  • 537 Posts
  • 118 Thumbs up

remloc

Abingdon, Oxfordshire

23-Jul-15 00:19

My central heating radiators work upstairs and hot water is fine however the system only just heats some of the... Read more »

Originally posted by: John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance : View

Does it heat some of the radiators - or 'some' of each radiator? i.e.: are there cold spots on the rads. Sludge will tend to hit... Read more »

Originally posted by: kieronbrophy : View

Hi, I have much the same problem. I have a Gloworm 24hxi with expansion tank in loft serving a cylinder in in small bedroom (for power shower) running 7 no rads( 1-4 years old) and an underfloor heating system, with its own pump connected, in the extension (15M2) I have had 3 power flushes in the last 18 months (ouch). Problem is, 2 no rads downstairs(returning to boiler??) get warm to quite warm at the top only, until you turn off all the other rads in the the house and these 2 rads are hot top and bottom!!. Logic to me says that central heating pump for rads is not powerful enough. Any feedback is much appreciated thanks regards Kieron

Have a engineer look at balancing the heating system

Profile Image
  • 8 Reviews
  • 898 Posts
  • 381 Thumbs up

John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance

New Malden, Surrey

23-Jul-15 07:59

My central heating radiators work upstairs and hot water is fine however the system only just heats some of the... Read more »

Does it heat some of the radiators - or 'some' of each radiator? i.e.: are there cold spots on the rads. Sludge will tend to hit... Read more »

Originally posted by: kieronbrophy : View

Hi kb,

As per Remloc above.

Very common cause of this is where builders put on an extension, and fit extra radiators or circuit to pipe-work that was never designed/sized for the extras. In order to get one new part working, something else suffers. Often the builders will open up their new section fully to show how well it works, and only later does the client realise that something else doesn't work that well.

Does the underfloor heating system have its own mixer/blender valve ?

Balancing is the answer, but if the above pipe-work scenario exists in your case, it may be a battle that keeps recurring.

Thermostatic radiator valves help as they sort of help to self balance (no completely, but to an extent)

All the best,

John

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Thumbs up

BoBoBagans

15-Feb-16 07:50

Power flushing pumps have not only been constructed to purge the system with fresh water whilst dumping the contaminated water, but are also supplied with flow and return hoses, dump and water inlet hoses, valves to isolate them from the system, adapters to speed connection into a system and a significantly higher performance rating. They have a higher temperature rating, a starter pack of chemicals and a training package to ensure that you get the best from your investment.

Post a reply

Profile Image
  • ? Reviews
  • ? Forum posts
  • Add image