Looking for a trader that has passed a Which? assessment?

Visit Which? Trusted Traders to find local traders who have been checked and assessed by our trading standards professionals.

Central heating power flush – worth it?

Unsubscribe from this discussion
Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 1 Forum post
  • 0 Thumbs up

rob423

• Which? Member

8-Oct-14 13:43

I am considering replacing my old boiler with a new one and I too am wondering whether a power flush is required or just a chemical clean and flush? Out of 10 radiators, 4 single ones are old and 6 double ones are only 4 years old.

I flushed out the 4 old ones as best I could with house water pressure when I newly installed the 6 double ones and I also replaced all the copper 15mm pipe throughout with 28mm main runs downstairs and upstairs with 15mm tap off to each radiator using speedfit plastic piping and connectors which are great.

Any thoughts would be helpful - cheers.

Profile Image
  • 3 Reviews
  • 288 Posts
  • 106 Thumbs up

Real Boiler Servicing & Maintenance Ltd

Enfield, Middlesex

8-Oct-14 14:36

Hi rob423,

The best way forward in my opinion is to have the system water tested, this will highlight what's required. You can either find a local recommended trader who dose on site water testing (we do them for £60inc vat) or buy a DIY postal kit that you send of (approx. £25), these normally take about 10 days to come back but will give you a better understand of what's actually going on in your system.

Then you will be able better equipped to determine the right cause of action to take. make sure you retain your results for future reference.

All the best,

Ibrahim.

Profile Image
  • 8 Reviews
  • 898 Posts
  • 381 Thumbs up

John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance

New Malden, Surrey

8-Oct-14 18:55

Originally posted by: rob423 : View

I am considering replacing my old boiler with a new one and I too am wondering whether a power flush is required or just a chemical clean and flush? Out of 10 radiators, 4 single ones are old and 6 double ones are only 4 years old.

I flushed out the 4 old ones as best I could with house water pressure when I newly installed the 6 double ones and I also replaced all the copper 15mm pipe throughout with 28mm main runs downstairs and upstairs with 15mm tap off to each radiator using speedfit plastic piping and connectors which are great.

Any thoughts would be helpful - cheers.

Hi rob 423 - and a big welcome to the forum.

The people coming to quote to fit your new boiler should be the ones really to advise you about this.

Since it is a requirement of the new boiler installation that the appliance shall be fitted according to 'manufacturer's instructions' - this will normally include a requirement to 'clean' the system.

Also, the installer will have to complete the 'Benchmark' commissioning log prior to handing over to you. This log asks the question of whether the system was cleaned out and what cleaners were used. Your installer will need to complete this and it is unlikely that they would want to accept a DIY cleaning for this.

Really I would recommend that you talk to your installer and ask what he/she suggests is required prior to agreeing a contract.

Any installer worth their salt would be assessing the system and the cleaning as the 'norm' and should act appropriately.

Make sure that the appropriate corrosion inhibitor is being added in the correct proportion as well - very important.

Most installers will now also fit a magnetic filter as standard, although this should always be considered as a follow on treatment to protect the system, not as the cleaning/flushing process itself.

You haven't said how 'old' the 'old radiators' are, but do consider incorporating upgrades to these as well if relevant, during the new installation.

Hope that is of help - and do let us know how you got on.

John

Profile Image
  • 1 Review
  • 537 Posts
  • 118 Thumbs up

remloc

Abingdon, Oxfordshire

18-Nov-14 20:30

28mm flow and return pipe work to your radiators ??How large is your heating system and what heat output is the boiler?......approx heating Loading in Watts for 28mm at 11 ^t deg C is 22000 and at 20^t degC is 40000 . We would normally work out the required heating flow rate to radiators as we would need to avoid excessive flow velocities and pressure drops around the heating circuit and this would give us the required pipe size....speed fit fittings are good but they are very bulky

Profile Image
  • 1 Review
  • 537 Posts
  • 118 Thumbs up

remloc

Abingdon, Oxfordshire

18-Nov-14 20:35

you can pick up a "Fernox " post kit at your local merchants.... fill up test tube pop in post to fernox ...they send back your results....best practice though is to powercleanse or powerflush system before install of new boiler as well as fitting a magnetic filter on the return side .....we like the Spirotrap as the Magnaclean after a few years becomes hard to unscrew and can leak from the lid seal.....same for Fernox filter ..of which you can buy a service kit which has replacement seals.....

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 1 Forum post
  • 0 Thumbs up

Lilypansy

6-Jan-15 20:11

(Changed by Vicky Which?  why?)

My boiler is covered for breakdown by one of the big gas and electricity companies ,my boiler is 15 years old now and every time there is a fault and I call the engineer out their war cry is OH THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO TO FIX THE PROBLEM,YOU NEED A POWERFLUSH.

Any advice out there that anyone can give me,please

Profile Image
  • 3 Reviews
  • 288 Posts
  • 106 Thumbs up

Real Boiler Servicing & Maintenance Ltd

Enfield, Middlesex

6-Jan-15 22:54

Originally posted by: Lilypansy : View

My boiler is covered for breakdown by one of the big gas and electricity companies ,my boiler is 15 years old now and every time there is a fault and I call the engineer out their war cry is OH THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO TO FIX THE PROBLEM,YOU NEED A POWERFLUSH.

Any advice out there that anyone can give me,please

hi Lilypansy,

The first some question;

Is their comments based on fact i.e. test they carried out? if so which ones? I would guess an on site turbidity test. Manufactures and insurances will vary but generally speaking anything above 300 parts per million (ppm) is considered contaminated and they may argue that any remedial works carried out will be effected by the same contaminant that caused a break down originally.

What is the fault and is the fault directly linked to water quality?, for example you could have a faulty fan, gas valve or a electrical fault these are not water carrying parts and should not be effected even if the system is contaminated, their may still be something in the terms and conditions limiting this too but worth checking.

Ask what test they have carried out to conclude that a power flush is required and what the expected range is to their requirements. This will also give you something to work with even if you do have a power flush, you can relay this info to the engineer carrying out the power flush and ensure they do a through job and meet the readings required by the company. This will save you going back and forth. I would ask for all information to be in writing rather than verbal, ask for a formal report showing dates and test carried out with results that have lead their to their conclusions.

finally you can have a water sample carried out by a qualified external engineer and ask them to produce a report showing their findings or buy a DIY postal water sample kit for about £15.00 these take up to 10 working days to come back, but cheaper alternative.

With all this said if the system is contaminated a power flush or at least a magnetic filter is not a bad idea and in most cases just fitting a magnetic filter and manually flushing the system can produce satisfactory results.

You may also find this conversation helpful too:

http://conversation.which.co.uk/energy-home/boiler-servicing-contracts-cover-best-boilers/

All the best, hope that was of some help.

Ibrahim.

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Thumbs up

izzabella

12-Jan-15 12:14

Maybe it will not sometimes .It is better to consult some others also because every one will think increasing there products demand also so its natural you should consult at least one or two for your solution.

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 1 Forum post
  • 0 Thumbs up

T G Chand

• Which? Member

12-Jan-15 15:55

I looked at this forum just now for the first time. All my radiators were cold at the bottom and warm to hot at the top. Assuming that sludge or whatever the stuff has accumulated I had a power flush done at a ccost of £435 for 15 radiators. It did solve the problem. Traditionally some chemicals (Fernox 1000 ??) is added the night before or even a week before. But the one who did for me claimed his pump and the chemicals he uses doesn't need this. He also said that Magna filter is ideally on top of boiler but my boiler was too close to ceiling.

Profile Image
  • 8 Reviews
  • 898 Posts
  • 381 Thumbs up

John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance

New Malden, Surrey

12-Jan-15 15:59

Originally posted by: T G Chand : View

I looked at this forum just now for the first time. All my radiators were cold at the bottom and warm to hot at the top. Assuming that sludge or whatever the stuff has accumulated I had a power flush done at a ccost of £435 for 15 radiators. It did solve the problem. Traditionally some chemicals (Fernox 1000 ??) is added the night before or even a week before. But the one who did for me claimed his pump and the chemicals he uses doesn't need this. He also said that Magna filter is ideally on top of boiler but my boiler was too close to ceiling.

Hi TG,

Sounds like you have somebody there who is reasonable, talking some sense and not trying to trade 'tech speak' you.

Important thing is getting the result you wanted. Magna clean filter can be fitted elsewhere and would always recommend (or similar).

All the best,

John

Post a reply

Profile Image
  • ? Reviews
  • ? Forum posts
  • Add image