Looking for a trader that has passed a Which? assessment?

Visit Which? Trusted Traders to find local traders who have been checked and assessed by our trading standards professionals.

Central heating power flush – worth it?

Unsubscribe from this discussion
Profile Image
  • 3 Reviews
  • 288 Posts
  • 106 Thumbs up

Real Boiler Servicing & Maintenance Ltd

Enfield, Middlesex

• Which? Member

11-Jun-13 18:45

I would suggest to use a company or person who would conduct a before and after test.

kits are available for engineers that enable them to test water samples on site- test should include Ph./water hardness/solubility/chloride/inhibitor levels.

even if these tests are not carried out before they must be carried out at the end to confirm that the results are satisfactory.

other wise how would you know- (the best way to explain it is to look at a cup of water with dissolved sugar, the only way to identify the sugar is to test).

Profile Image
  • 1 Review
  • 537 Posts
  • 118 Thumbs up

remloc

Abingdon, Oxfordshire

20-Jun-13 00:07

Originally posted by: Real Boiler Servicing & Maintenance Ltd : View

I would suggest to use a company or person who would conduct a before and after test.

kits are available for engineers that enable them to test water samples on site- test should include Ph./water hardness/solubility/chloride/inhibitor levels.

even if these tests are not carried out before they must be carried out at the end to confirm that the results are satisfactory.

other wise how would you know- (the best way to explain it is to look at a cup of water with dissolved sugar, the only way to identify the sugar is to test).

fernox do a very nice water test kit for that very job

Profile Image
  • 3 Reviews
  • 288 Posts
  • 106 Thumbs up

Real Boiler Servicing & Maintenance Ltd

Enfield, Middlesex

20-Jun-13 19:46

Yes their is a few out their on the market, ones you can post off and wait for results (about 2 weeks) and some can be done by engineers on site.

I prefer the on site ones then you know what's going on instantly.

The other point is you can always back up your work with hard evidence showing a before and after result.

Profile Image
  • 1 Review
  • 537 Posts
  • 118 Thumbs up

remloc

Abingdon, Oxfordshire

20-Jun-13 22:53

Originally posted by: Real Boiler Servicing & Maintenance Ltd : View

Yes their is a few out their on the market, ones you can post off and wait for results (about 2 weeks) and some can be done by engineers on site.

I prefer the on site ones then you know what's going on instantly.

The other point is you can always back up your work with hard evidence showing a before and after result.

another good device to show customer "hard evidence" is the MagnaCleanse RapidFlush Filter which can show all the collected sludge from the system

Profile Image
  • 1 Review
  • 537 Posts
  • 118 Thumbs up

remloc

Abingdon, Oxfordshire

20-Jun-13 22:55

we have our MagnaCleanse RapidFlush Filter linked on the return to our fernox powerflush machine.....good job done!!

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 1 Forum post
  • 0 Thumbs up

haslemere1

29-Aug-13 11:34

My central heating radiators work upstairs and hot water is fine however the system only just heats some of the radiators downstairs , would it be better to replace inactive radiators , rather than do a power flush ?

The downstairs pipes are in concrete , the installation is 25 years old. The boiler works w/o problems and pump has recently been replaced. JT

Profile Image
  • 8 Reviews
  • 898 Posts
  • 381 Thumbs up

John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance

New Malden, Surrey

29-Aug-13 18:54

Originally posted by: haslemere1 : View

My central heating radiators work upstairs and hot water is fine however the system only just heats some of the radiators downstairs , would it be better to replace inactive radiators , rather than do a power flush ?

The downstairs pipes are in concrete , the installation is 25 years old. The boiler works w/o problems and pump has recently been replaced. JT

Does it heat some of the radiators - or 'some' of each radiator? i.e.: are there cold spots on the rads. Sludge will tend to hit downstairs more due to its weight vs water.

Depends on condition of rads but probably would make more sense to update them to better efficiency ones.

Somebody decent local should be able to recommend best option after assessing system.

John

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 1 Forum post
  • 0 Thumbs up

peteb2012

2-Nov-13 20:30

Originally posted by: DHOULD : View

Has anyone had their central heating power flushed and is it worth it, and are there any local companied that you would recommend ?

hi can any one recommend as I had I done last year and I afraid they were cowboys..........

Profile Image
  • 8 Reviews
  • 898 Posts
  • 381 Thumbs up

John Creasey - Boiler Installation & Service, Gas & Heating Maintenance

New Malden, Surrey

3-Nov-13 09:38

Originally posted by: DHOULD : View

Has anyone had their central heating power flushed and is it worth it, and are there any local companied that you would recommend ?

Originally posted by: peteb2012 : View

hi can any one recommend as I had I done last year and I afraid they were cowboys..........

Check your local area recommendations near to you by post code under 'Central Heating' - should be able to get someone from this site. (what area are you ?)

Be wary of being given details of 'national' operatives as these recommendations are not by reputation but by commission to the person giving the lead out.

(I get regular texts and emails from these companies offering me money if I recommend them - they may be fine, but I have no idea and would not pass on details just to get a commission)

Good luck and hope that helps.

John

Profile Image
  • 25 Reviews
  • 398 Posts
  • 68 Thumbs up

Which? David

• Which? Staff

4-Nov-13 09:35

Thanks for the input Muttley. Advice I will heed myself.

Hi peteb2012. Fortunately there are plenty of recommended central heating and gas installers in your area. Good luck!

Post a reply

Profile Image
  • ? Reviews
  • ? Forum posts
  • Add image