Looking for a trader that has passed a Which? assessment?

Visit Which? Trusted Traders to find local traders who have been checked and assessed by our trading standards professionals.

Has anyone fit a TRV themselves?

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Thumbs up

The underdog

3-Apr-12 15:10

I'm thinking of installing Thermostatic radiator valves but was wondering if I could cut costs and fit them by myself?

Any advice would be helpful!

Profile Image
  • 1 Review
  • 536 Posts
  • 115 Thumbs up

remloc

Abingdon, Oxfordshire

• Which? Member

3-Apr-12 18:59

This can be done.........You will need a hose. Water pump pliers (grips), adjustable spanner, junior hacksaw/olive puller, 16mm spanner(for rad connection if installing bulldog valves from plumb center), PTFE tape, Jet Blue paste, vent key, cloth, central heating inhibitor. Most people find that taking the old radiator connection out and removing the pipe olive difficult, the room with the room thermostat does not need a radiator thermostat...............good luck

Profile Image
  • 2 Reviews
  • 2 Posts
  • 4 Thumbs up

Selbs

Marlborough, Wiltshire

4-Apr-12 14:37

I agree with the advice above. Some skills are needed. You may also need a 12 mm hexagon key (Allen key) to get the old valve connetion out of the radiator. [The trick with removing old olives is to hacksaw them off, trying not to hacksaw into the copper pipe as you do it. The job could be easy if the radiator pipes are flexible and the old valve has a similar arrangement to the new one. Or it could be awkward if not. I have fitted TRVs in 3 rooms which are not used much - they can be turned down /off and on and off according to usage. But I am not a huge fan of TRVs for general use as the temperature setting cannot be varied according to time of day. [Plumbers like to fit them because it gives temperature control without them having to call on an electrician.] Two or three heating zones (e.g. north-facing room/ south facing rooms /bedrooms each with its own timer-programmer gives much better control.

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 129 Posts
  • 12 Thumbs up

frybluff

Bournemouth, Dorset

4-Apr-12 17:40

One slight word of advice if DIY fitting TRV's. Make sure you know which way water is flowing through each radiator, before draining down the system. It may be the norm for wheelhead valves to have been put on the inlet, to each rad, and lockshield valves on the outlet, but that's not "written in stone". With non-TRV's the direction is not important, but TRV's won't work properly, the wrong way round.

Profile Image
  • 1 Review
  • 536 Posts
  • 115 Thumbs up

remloc

Abingdon, Oxfordshire

• Which? Member

4-Apr-12 20:48

Most of the leading manufacturers like Honeywell, Drayton, Danfoss and Pelger Terrier radiator valves make bi-directional valve bodies and some valves have flow selectable bi directional valves............ which means that they be installed on either the flow or return pipe work.

If you are installing radiator valves on all the radiators.......... please refer to the boiler instructions as per the min flow rate............. as you may need to install an........ auto bypass........ to the heating circuit to ensure...... adequate flow through the boiler......... when all motorised valves and/or TRVs close.

Profile Image
  • 1 Review
  • 536 Posts
  • 115 Thumbs up

remloc

Abingdon, Oxfordshire

• Which? Member

4-Apr-12 20:57

Even if your are installing TRVs you will still need to install a room stat and a timer(best practice Programmable) to control the whole heating system........Pegler terrier manufacture an Programmable radiator control which is compatible to most TRV bodies and has 6 settings per 24hrs, 7 days a week and works like a room thermostat on the valve within each room. and can save up to 30% on heating costs.

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Thumbs up

The underdog

5-Apr-12 10:02

Thanks for your replies everybody... looks like quite a big job! To be honest, I'm not sure I can do this confidently :-/

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 1 Forum post
  • 0 Thumbs up

davidjseed

• Which? Member

7-Apr-12 18:37

I was told that in order not to over-tax the radiator pump, you should not fit a TRV to one radiator (the one closest to the room thermostat) and ensure that radiator is ON the whole time, ( i.e. only controlled by the room stat) otherwise the pump may be trying to pump into a rad system that is entirely closed by the TRVs

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 129 Posts
  • 12 Thumbs up

frybluff

Bournemouth, Dorset

7-Apr-12 19:21

Originally posted by: davidjseed : View

I was told that in order not to over-tax the radiator pump, you should not fit a TRV to one radiator (the one closest to the room thermostat) and ensure that radiator is ON the whole time, ( i.e. only controlled by the room stat) otherwise the pump may be trying to pump into a rad system that is entirely closed by the TRVs

That is true with older boilers. Many modern boilers have a by-pass to resolve that issue. Having said that, even with TRV's you should still have a room stat, for overall control. The room stat wants to be positioned in an area which is NOT contolled by a TRV, which effectively resolves the issue, anyway.

Profile Image
  • 1 Review
  • 536 Posts
  • 115 Thumbs up

remloc

Abingdon, Oxfordshire

• Which? Member

7-Apr-12 23:18

Not all modern boilers have a built in by pass....only combination and system boilers .......a regular heat only modern boiler will not. Always refer to your boiler manufacturers instructions for more details.

Post a reply

Profile Image
  • ? Reviews
  • ? Forum posts
  • Add image