Looking for a trader that has passed a Which? assessment?

Visit Which? Trusted Traders to find local traders who have been checked and assessed by our trading standards professionals.

Annual gas boiler servicing

Profile Image
  • 10 Reviews
  • 13 Posts
  • 5 Thumbs up

Valkerie

• Which? Member

16-Jan-12 23:12

I use British Gas for my annual boiler service and C.H.maintenance, which is frustrating and time consuming.Today I telephoned them to come and service my boiler (under contract).I was told they could not come for two months.I complained and was told I should think about people whose boilers had broken down.

Are any other national companies worth considering?

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 125 Posts
  • 54 Thumbs up

Which? Thomas

Wimbledon, London

• Which? Staff

17-Jan-12 09:51

(Changed by Which? Thomas  why?)

HI Valkerie,

Have you considered using a local firm to perform your annual service and maintenance?

If you're interested in doing so, you can click here to see a list of local, member recommended, tradesman who should be able to help.

Thanks

Thomas,

Which? Local

Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 129 Posts
  • 12 Thumbs up

frybluff

Bournemouth, Dorset

17-Jan-12 12:10

Originally posted by: Valkerie : View

I use British Gas for my annual boiler service and C.H.maintenance, which is frustrating and time consuming.Today I telephoned them to come and service my boiler (under contract).I was told they could not come for two months.I complained and was told I should think about people whose boilers had broken down.

Servicing by the "majors" can be beneficial, as most include what is, in effect, a "warranty extension". They do tend to want to do "routine" servicing, when THEY want to do it, rather than when YOU want it. Having said that, all servicing organisations try to avoid doing "servicing" at this time of the year, to make their response to breakdowns more reliable. If one has a problem with a boiler, and just want the service done AT THE SAME TIME, smaller organisations tend to be more flexible. British Gas, and the like, do tend to be, at least, reasonably prompt, if one has a fault.
Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 129 Posts
  • 12 Thumbs up

frybluff

Bournemouth, Dorset

17-Jan-12 12:38

PS If you want to switch to another major, for the "warranty", you will probably find that your current gas provider (if not with BG), will offer the CHEAPEST deal. Be careful to read the small print. There may, in effect, be a substantial penalty, if, and when, you wish to change gas provider, as they are giving you a discount, off your servicing, to keep you with them, as your gas supplier.
Profile Image
  • 1 Review
  • 536 Posts
  • 115 Thumbs up

remloc

Abingdon, Oxfordshire

• Which? Member

18-Jan-12 20:54

Why not use a local company, log onto the Gas Safe Register, type in your postcode and a choice of gas safe engineers, some will be large companies and some small, most boiler spares can be ordered for the next day. The national companies can offer deals with regards to breakdowns. The average independant cost for a annual gas safety check, here in Oxon, range from £55-£75 ex parts, why not even contact your boiler MANUFACTURER, most offer a service with benefits
Profile Image
  • 2 Reviews
  • 2 Posts
  • 2 Thumbs up

Ace

• Which? Member

18-Jan-12 22:31

My daughter had trouble with British Gas and she has switched her servicing to HomeServe - too early to say how good they are yet, but switching has got to be the answer - they'll get the message eventually!
Profile Image
  • 10 Reviews
  • 13 Posts
  • 5 Thumbs up

Valkerie

• Which? Member

19-Jan-12 17:58

Thanks for all the very helpful suggestions.My local plumber,who is very good,wanted £90 for a boiler service (Essex) which I thought was over the top. I will contact the manufacturer to find out if they will do it and the price. Making an annual boiler service appointment with British Gas is painful.While you hang on the line they try and contact an engineer in your area.Of course, the engineer is probably on a job so takes a while to respond.The call centre agent then helpfully advises the caller of the possible delay and offers to provide useful information on other BG products to fill the pregnant pause.BG think of everything.
Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Thumbs up

Plumbing & Gas Solutions

Two Mile Ash, Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire

• Which? Member

26-Jan-12 09:57

Hi, Corgi run a home plan cover, cheaper than the rest and seems to cover everything including electrics for as little as £7.99 a month. We have carried out a few repairs for them in the Milton Keynes area and they have never quibbled at a customers repair, just ask us to carry out what is necessary within 12 hours of the call out. We get nothing but moans and groans from BG customers.

Profile Image
  • 5 Reviews
  • 2 Posts
  • 5 Thumbs up

gempad

• Which? Member

26-Jan-12 10:32

Hi,I've just reviewed the Corgi website and it looks like a good deal. Has anyone else have any experience of using them?
Profile Image
  • 0 Reviews
  • 1 Forum post
  • 0 Thumbs up

MR CROVIS

• Which? Member

26-Jan-12 19:27

Originally posted by: gempad : View Hi,I've just reviewed the Corgi website and it looks like a good deal. Has anyone else have any experience of using them?
Honestly , dont bother with routine servicing. It may sound radical but its a waste of money. The fee will include a call out and they wont do much more than clean the dust out. My boiler is an Ideal Standard. It broke down about 3 years ago and i got a plumber out to fix it. I asked him about routine servicing and he gave me the advice i have just given you, namely just wait until it breaks down. Often a break down is not sudden any way. Depending on where it is situated you can often notice a difference in the noise it makes when firing up and shutting down.

Post a reply

Profile Image
  • ? Reviews
  • ? Forum posts
  • Add image