Looking for a trader that has passed a Which? assessment?

Visit Which? Trusted Traders to find local traders who have been checked and assessed by our trading standards professionals.

Your restaurant rights

Find out what you could be entitled to in the event of losing a booking, the wrong dish being served, food poisoning and more.

Restaurant table with food and drink

Get the service you deserve

  • Complain about any problem immediately, so the restaurant has a chance to sort it out.
  • Don't continue to eat a meal if you wish to complain about it.

I didn’t get what I ordered. What can I do?

  • If the food you receive isn’t what you ordered or is unsatisfactory, you can either send it back or ask for a substitute. If the replacement isn’t satisfactory, you can refuse to pay for it. You may be asked to leave your name and address with the owner of the restaurant.
  • If you would prefer to pay the full amount upfront, be sure to make it noted that you are paying 'under protest' so that you can claim compensation later.

Do I have to pay a service charge?

  • If the service charge is clearly stated (for example: on the menu or at the front door) you must pay it, unless the service or food was unreasonably poor.
  • If the service charge isn't clearly stated, you don't have to pay it.

I lost a booking, how much money can I get?

  • If you've lost a booking, you could recover the costs you incur, such as travel expenses. There's a possibility you could claim for more to compensate for distress, disappointment and inconvenience in particular cases, such as a wedding.
  • If you fail to turn up to a booking, the restaurant can potentially claim expenses from you.

What happens if I get food poisoning?

  • The source of food poisoning is difficult to prove. It helps if more than one person has it and if you take a sample to your local environmental health department.
  • If you can prove that the kitchen caused your illness, you could recover compensation for pain, suffering, any loss of earnings and other expenses.