We asked Which? Local-recommended Fleurtatious in Newcastle upon Tyne for their expert advice on houseplants.
The best houseplants
Phalenopsis plants, albeit expensive, are good value-for-money.
With the right care, the flowers will last for six months.
Plus, they prefer small pots so you shouldn't need to repot them.
- Place in a warm, light room but not direct sunlight.
- Water regularly.
- Feed with a high-potash fertiliser every seven to 10 days.
- The first flowers should last three to four months. When the flowers have wilted, cut the flower stem down to the lowest node of the stem and keep feeding. They'll produce another flower stem from this node which will last just as long as the first one.
Hydrangea is another good-value plant. It does well in a wide choice of rooms and temperatures.
- Water almost every day.
- Feed every seven to 10 days.
- After flowering, trim about a third off the length of the stems and plant outside in the garden or tubs. If they have all summer to harden to outside temperatures, they'll flower each year.
About our expert trader
Gardeners and landscape designers: how much should you pay?
We surveyed recommended gardeners and landscape designers to find out how much you should spend on 12 common jobs and how long they should take to complete.
View our gardening price guide
Fleurtatious is a florist based in Newcastle upon Tyne.
Which? Local members have praised Fleurtatious for its 'cheerful' service and beautiful arrangements.
Read reviews for Fleurtatious